How To Work Front Desk At A Hotel?
When we enter the hotel, you can see unfamiliar faces but give us a most welcoming smile. Most probably, they work at the front desk, so they have mastered the art of welcoming guests. But aren't you curious about how to work front desk at a hotel? Read on and know more.
What Are Front Desks For?
Every hotel has a front desk in the lobby. But have you asked yourself what they are for? The basic concept that we have is that this is where we check-in and check-out. There are different front desk looks, and every hotel owner aims to get the best-looking desk. Many hotels are now automated when it comes to guest check-in and out. But, some choose to stick in the traditional way of writing down the names and other information about the guests. What do they share in common is the hospitality of every person designated there. And speaking of the staff, aren't you curious to find out how to work front desk at a hotel? We can see them every time we check-in, but surely, we don't know all the details on their part. So if you want to know more about them, read more.
Duties and Responsibilities
If you want to how to work front desk at a hotel, you can start with your duties and responsibilities. It is not enough that you are good-looking because the face doesn’t always do the talking. As a hotel staff and front desk crew, you must be familiar with your job to become worthy of the position. So to help you understand each, here are the things that you are expected to do.
- Since you work at the front desk, you’ll be working with different types of people. And with that, you’ll be meeting angry and unsatisfied guests. So you are expected to handle and address the complaints of every guest calmly.
- Using the programs and equipment provided in your workstation, it is your job to input every guest's primary information for check-in.
- It is also your job to lead the guests in their room.
- Many people will be inquiring about the hotel where you work, so you have to memorize the hotel's information like amenities offered, services, promos, and a short history of how it was built and the head owners.
- You will be issuing the bill and invoice of every guest based on the number of days they spent in the hotel and the services they asked for.
- You should understand and provide every guest's needs and offer the services that the hotel has.
- It is also your task to ask the visitors regarding their purpose of coming to the hotel.
- You must also not disclose any information about the guest not until the police officers present legal documents like a warrant of arrest.
- You must treat the guests fairly and politely no matter how rude they can be
- You should talk to guests formally.
- You will be answering phone calls and emails.
- You will be discussing the procedures and policies of the hotel.
- You are expected to greet every guest.
Qualities to Possess
In working front desk at a hotel, you will be dealing with different types of people. Now that you already know how to work front desk at a hotel, the next thing that you should know are the qualities that you must possess to get better chances of being employed.
- You must possess strong interpersonal skills.
- You should know how to handle stress and pressure.
- You should know how to solve conflicts and problems.
- Your communication skills should be on point.
- You should be friendly and polite.
- You should look presentable all the time.
- You should be computer literate.
- You should know basic mathematics because you will be dealing with bills and invoices.
- You should be organized and punctual.
- You should be working well with your team too.
- You should be confident and an active listener.
- You should be good at promotion and negotiation.
- You should be approachable and diligent.
- And if you want to know how to get a job at a hotel front desk, most importantly, you should be good at multi-tasking.
Working in a hotel may be challenging, but it is also rewarding because you’ll be working with different people all the time. Sometimes you’ll be working with kind people, rude, demanding, unsatisfied, optimistic, caring, humble, and short-tempered ones. These are the types of people that you will encounter if you work at the front desk. Now that you have learned how to work front desk at a hotel, you are now ready to pursue your dream job. But remember, no matter how rude the people you meet, you can deal with them heart to heart. Because if the customer feels your genuine concern, then you can expect them to talk and interact with grace. It may not be an easy job, but for sure, you'll learn more things every day. It would be easy for you to deal with different behaviors, eventually! Know more about hotel management.
February 5, 2021
By: Adrian Sully
Whenever we stay at the hotel, we always look for the services and amenities. Hotels are more than happy to give their best for their customers.
February 2, 2021
By: Paul Lynch
There is something magical about hotels. As a child, you may have wondered what these immense establishments are all about with people in different uniforms, stationed in other areas, going around, and taking care of guests
February 1, 2021
By: Rudy Aims
Are you working on a very important project and you need to work for long hours to finish it? If you are, you will probably need the best architect desk lamp