How To Manage A Small Hotel: A Quick Guide
As guests and consumers, we only see the outer shell of an establishment. But there are complexities underneath a surface of parade, performance, and products.
A small hotel is intimate, cozy, and unique, but managing isn't easier than large hotels. It has its challenges, even if the employees are significantly lesser than hotel chains. In this article, we'll discuss how to manage a small hotel effectively so you can make the most out of your business.
A Quick Guide To Managing Small Hotels
Small hotels have an intimate atmosphere. In this scenario, managers are often the owners, doing hands-on work on almost all aspects. In learning how to manage a small hotel, there are universal management truths to remember.
Important Management Skills To Remember
Customer satisfaction starts with happy employees.
- Acknowledge your hotel staff
There are a limited number of employees in a small hotel. Take the time to acknowledge everyone and memorize their names. A monthly meeting is a good opportunity to get to know each member and their function.
- Reward good work
Come up with rewards schemes and events that improve employee engagement. Give bonuses in cash or in-kind to excellent employees. The gesture will already keep them motivated.
- Communicate effectively
Give praise when it is due and criticism when required. According to studies, using the sandwich method to give feedback to employees is not practical. Squeezing your constructive comments between positive statements undermines the main reason why criticism is necessary. When someone makes a mistake, correct it immediately and offer real-time praise when they do a good job.
Be a leader, not a boss.
Hotels are customer-centric establishments. To thrive in the hospitality industry, you have to exude warmth.
These are some qualities that exemplify leadership:
- Empathy - the ability to empathize with your employees and your guests is a skill all leaders must possess. It is often through empathy that managers identify areas for improvement in the organization or the establishment.
- Adaptability - Change is inevitable, and a hotel has to be dynamic and adaptable to sudden change. A leader braves through changes and keeps the entire organization safe.
- Motivation - A good leader motivates himself and other people well. It is often a rare but much-desired quality of leaders to inspire excellence, dedication, and compassion among his colleagues.
- Organization - Hotels are demanding, and small hotels get the same pressure to perform from all sides. A good leader organizes his tasks, so he doesn't overwhelm others and himself in the process.
- Communication - Effective communication is the mark of excellent leaders. And in the hotel industry, you need to communicate with staff, partners, and other agencies to effectively run a hotel.
Tips For Managing A Small Hotel
Now that you know some of the universal principles that apply to management, let's focus on the hotel and how to manage a small hotel effectively.
A hotel manager plays a crucial role in a hotel's success. A hotel manager is responsible for the following:
- implements business strategies for the hotel
- applies social media and marketing strategies for the hotel
- creates a culture of customer service excellence to be implemented by the staff
- recruits the best people
- designs and implements profit management strategies
A hotel manager's role is essential and substantial. And in the case of small hotels, they bear the weight of the entire hotel operations. Here are some useful techniques on how to manage a small hotel:
- Maximize the use of technology for easier and efficient hotel operations.
- a system for booking reservations
- an interactive and public website
- a system set up for distributors
- a method for planning and implementing room pricing
- Delegate the tasks to hotel staff
- Echo the hotel brand in all marketing strategies.
- communicate the brand message effectively
- build on your brand and promote it to the right market
- create marketing campaigns to boost customer loyalty
- Provide customers with unique and memorable experiences.
- continue to innovate
- research market trends in travel
- come up with events your guests can enjoy
- plan parties, or spa days for your guests
- Ensure the safety of your customers.
- keep the staff updated about emergency measures
- reinforce the safety rules in the hotel
- maintain excellent hygiene and cleanliness throughout the hotel
- address complaints promptly and efficiently
- Keep clear and open communication channels.
- effectively communicate with your employees and guests
- train employees to communicate with guests
- keep channels open for proper information dissemination
- Be Detail-oriented.
- be observant about everything going on around you
- be meticulous about the details like putting fresh flowers in the vase
- check for staff that are not so enthusiastic and give them a brief break to freshen up
- maintain efficiency in all departments
- Be knowledgeable about the entire hotel operations.
- get to know other departments
- plan a session to get their feedback for improvement
- always check in on your frontline staff
- do a walk around and check all departments from time to time
- get updates from each department's point person
As the need for travel continues to grow, the demand for hotels increases, and although small hotels attract a different target market, they can still compete with larger chains. Modern travelers are now looking for unique ways to experience travel, and it doesn't have to mean luxury—in the traditional sense.
Knowing how to manage a small hotel effectively will attract the right customers and grow your hotel. With a more intimate way of management, you can personally witness the growth and adapt easily to your establishment's changes. It's time for travelers to experience the benefits of being in a smaller hotel, and as the manager, it's all up to you. Know more about small hotels.
November 6, 2020
By: Catherine Ambrose
If you’re wondering how to jumpstart that idea and make it a reality, we’ll teach you how to start a small hotel business with some tried-and-true tips and methods.
November 3, 2020
By: Adrian Sully
Having a small space would give you a hard time fitting and arranging all your belongings. It is a challenging task since you only have a limited amount of storable items in your space.
November 2, 2020
By: Albert Pike
Let’s say you’re planning on a business venture. Since you have a good location, you’re thinking of running a hotel business.