Since Chromecast came into our lives, home entertainment has never been the same, with YouTube and Netflix shows now available on bigger, family-inclusive television screens.
Watching these shows magnified on a Smart TV while on vacation also sounds enjoyable, but having to transfer from one location to another where WiFi networks change when you travel makes Chromecast a finicky, little tool. But are there tricks on how to make Chromecast work in hotel?
Hacks on How to make Chromecast Work in Hotel
The reality is that hotels usually set guests on a circuitous route in terms of network access that makes it quite impossible to use Chromecast. Chromecast alone is not yet built for hotels and their Internet connection systems. Some hotels also allow connection for only one device per hotel room.
Obviously, more screens and devices connected mean a slowdown in connection and has cost implications, too. But, fortunately, you have ways to use Chromecast when you are in a hotel, with a little help from friends.
One way on how to make chromecast work in hotel is through your wireless travel router. This is the pocket-sized device you use when traveling, connecting to the Ethernet, broadband, or doubles as a WiFi extender or repeater.
With this compact gadget, you can connect to a wireless hotspot and allow multiple devices to connect to the Internet. To use your handy travel router, follow these steps:
- Before traveling, assign an SSID and password on your travel router to set it up.
- Connect your Chromecast to the pocket router through your Chromecast app on your smartphone or tablet.
- When you are already at the hotel, connect the pocket router to the Ethernet, and to a USB port as a power source. Some hotels do not have a network cable available to connect your travel router to the room’s network jack, so it’s best to bring one along.
- Connect your phone or tablet to the pocket router’s connection or to the mobile broadband signal.
Your pocket router then makes it easy for you to connect as it makes you control the WiFi network that you established in your hotel room.
The new Chromecast also has an Ethernet port. Chromecast can also be used whether there is an Internet connection or not, as it streams from your gadget to the HDTV.
Connectify Hotspot app
The Connectify Hotspot software app may also be used for Chromecast. This hotspot app is found on your Windows laptop. All you have to do is to set up the Connectify Hotspot for your Chromecast to remember and recognize the app every time you start your laptop.
In other words, Connectify Hotspot acts as a mediator for your Chromecast. With the Connectify Hotspot, you won’t have to look for and use WiFi. If the previous tips do not work, what you can read from here on are the more complicated, geeky options on how to make Chromecast work in hotel.
Make an Alternative Hotspot on your Laptop
By making your laptop an alternative hotspot, your Chromecast may be able to connect to it. Start by connecting your laptop to the WiFi of the hotel, and fill out the hotel’s login page:
- Click ‘Start’, go to ‘Settings’, and choose ‘Network & Internet’.
- Click ‘Mobile hotspot’ on the left pane.
- When already brought to ‘Mobile hotspot’, switch ‘on’ under ‘Share my Internet connection with other devices.’
- Next, choose ‘Wi-Fi’ under ‘Share my Internet connection from’.
- The selection under ‘Share my Internet connection over’ should also be set to ‘Wi-Fi’.
- Note down the ‘Network name’ and ‘Network password’ shown on the lower part of the window.
- Set up your Chromecast using the network name and password you got from the connection settings.
Make an Alternative Hotspot on your Mobile Phone
If you do not have a laptop, you may use your Smartphone as a hotspot. This will use your phone’s cellular Internet connection. Just follow these steps:
- Go to ‘Settings’ of your mobile phone.
- Proceed to ‘Wireless & Network’ and tap ‘More.’
- Tap ‘Tethering & portable hotspot’.
- Tap ‘Set up Wi-Fi hotspot’.
- Choose a Network Name and Password, then save.
- Turn ‘Portable Wi-Fi hotspot’ on.
- Set up your Chromecast as usual.
Use Portable Routers, like Portable Hotspots, Mobile Routers, etc.
Chromecast can also work through these as they use the Internet or an Ethernet connection. There are also portable routers, especially the later versions, that have an Ethernet port to connect to a device or the Ethernet jack on your hotel room’s wall. Here’s how to learn more about hotel entertainment.
It’s always a good idea to bring along a network cable everywhere you go so you can maximize the tools you have at hand for your enjoyment. We understand how taxing it could be just to crouch and slump over your favorite shows on your mobile phone. The big screen is still a different, larger-than-life experience. On your next travel, you’ll feel more confident and be less disappointed because you now know how to make Chromecast work in hotel and in a lot of ways at that.