How Much Does A Hotel Room Cost? - Hotel Basics
One of the least liked aspects of travel is budgeting. Next to airfares, hotel stays take a significant chunk on travel expenses. Multiply it by the days of your planned stay, and your budget may not look too good. If you're wondering how much does a hotel room cost, we need to show you the factors that affect room rates, hoping you find a hotel that best suits your needs and budget.
Types Of Hotels And Their Average Room Cost
Not all hotels are the same, and we're thankful they aren't. Not everyone can afford a 5-star luxury hotel, and not everyone wants to stay in an airport hotel. No matter the type, there's one meant for you.
Many factors affect room price. So if you're researching how much does a hotel room cost, these are a few things to consider:
- The closer you are to tourist landmarks, the more expensive the room rates. Different countries also have varying rates, and it all depends on where you decide to stay.
- Competing hotels affect room rates. They encourage better services among hotels in the area, but bigger competition can also hurt small businesses.
- Room type
- Is it a suite, deluxe, or premium? Room types affect room rates because of their design, spaciousness, and view.
- The amenities offered in a room also affect room rates. Does it have an indoor jacuzzi, a balcony, or a minibar?
- The economy's performance often dictates room rates in hotels. A healthy economy warrants better rates. There is also seasonality. Hotels change their rates when it's vacationing season. And some hotels adjust their prices when an internationally known event occurs in their areas like festivals or parades.
There is no way to peg the cost of a hotel room, but there is a way to manage our expectations. Now that you know some of the factors that affect room rates, let's better understand hotel classifications.
Hotels By Star Rating
Have you ever wondered about the star ratings in hotels, and how much does a hotel room cost depending on its rating? Here's a brief explanation.
- 1-star hotel
A 1-star hotel is usually a family-run establishment that offers basic and limited amenities. A single star rating is rated this way, not because it's dirty, but because of its simplicity.
- 2-star hotel
2-star hotels are considered budget hotels that offer basic amenities like a TV and phone. It could be part of a budget hotel chain with a simple restaurant and housekeeping services.
- 3-star hotel
This mid-range hotel offers more comfortable rooms with updated room amenities. They may also include other services like a pool, gym, cable TV, and room service.
- 4-star hotel
This high-end hotel offers exceptional service standards while ensuring maximum comfort to its guests. You can expect designer toiletries, high-quality beddings, and wellness and spa services in this hotel.
- 5-star hotel
This luxury hotel offers top-notch service standards, comfort, and amenities. These hotels have personalized services like a personal butler, personalized greeting, and other VIP treatments. These hotels are associated with world-renowned restaurants that their guests can enjoy without appointments.
Room cost for hotels with different star ratings is also affected by location and seasonality.
Hotels By Target Market
Hotels are also classified based on their target market, and this is also the easiest way to identify the type of hotel you want. They have different room rates that are influenced by factors like location, seasonality, and amenities.
- Business hotels
- located in business districts
- offers amenities like newspapers, free breakfast, and free local phone calls
- attracts business people and tour groups
- Suite hotels
- include a living room
- attracts professionals that need a separate receiving area
- Airport hotels
- attract layover guests, airline staff, and businessmen
- offer transport to and from the hotel
- some charge by the hour for layovers
- Resort hotels
- located on an island or in the mountains, far from the city
- offer recreational activities
- offer comfort for retreat
- Bed and breakfast or Homestays
- houses that become overnight facilities
- has ten rooms or less
- managed by the owner
- Extended stay hotels
- similar to suite hotels but includes a kitchen area
- does not include hotel facilities
- intended for guests staying for a long time
- Vacation rentals
- renting out a house or furnished apartment to someone else
- they can use all the amenities of the house for the specific period
- Casino hotels
- hotels that have gambling facilities
- Convention centers
- offer conference rooms for meetings
- provide services related to conferencing like audiovisual equipment, flip charts, and seating arrangements
- Serviced Apartments
- provides guests lease agreements for a minimum of 1 month
- includes a kitchen, private balcony, washing machine, and other amenities
After going through the list, you'll most likely have an idea about the hotel you want and how much it should cost.
Another essential aspect to consider when finding out how much does a hotel room cost is the level of service to expect.
- basic services
- minimum amenities required
- clean and comfortable inexpensive rooms
- does not include other costly services
- most popular
- provides high quality of service
- room service
- in-room entertainment and WiFi access
- luxury service
- option to get a personal butler
- personalized services
- access to exclusive lounges and other facilities
Pro Tip: Use a hotel booking app when searching for potential vacation hotels. Indicate your budget, required amenities, and filter the search. You will find a list of hotels that offer what you need at a price within budget.
The hotel industry is diverse and highly competitive. If you ever find yourself wondering how much does a hotel room cost, understand that there are a lot of factors at play. The key is to filter your search down to amenities you can and cannot live without to make the most of your stay. Even a 5-star hotel cannot satisfy the needs a homey bed-and-breakfast can provide. Find out more about hotel costs.
February 3, 2021
By: Paul Lynch
You always long for a comfortable and smooth rest as you sleep at night. We always want to have a good night’s sleep
February 2, 2021
By: Albert Pike
Hotels come in different star ratings and classifications. As they continue innovating to satisfy the growing, modern demands of customers, we are left with a dizzying number of hotels to choose from: