How Do Housekeepers Clean Hotel Rooms? – What You Need To Know
We don't see them a lot, but they do so much to ensure our hotel rooms become a home away from home. In a way, housekeepers are silent heroes in the hotel industry, and to better appreciate them, let's find out how do housekeepers clean hotel rooms.
The Housekeeping Strategy: Cleaning Hotel Rooms
Housekeepers employ a strategy when cleaning rooms. In most prominent hotels, they clean as many as 30 rooms a day, especially during high season. So how do housekeepers clean hotel rooms? Let's take a look!
Preparing The Housekeeping Trolley
Housekeepers have a trolley that contains all their cleaning equipment, so they don't have to run to and from the stockroom. A housekeeping trolley is generally prepared this way:
- Stock up the carts twice ever shift: before starting and in the middle of the shift.
- Keep refreshments and guest amenities at the topmost of the cart.
- Keep the sheets, towels, and tissues folded underneath
- Keep a separate bag for dirty laundry so you can tell which one is clean and which one is soiled.
A Housekeeper's Guide On How To Clean The Hotel Room
It's interesting to know how do housekeepers clean hotel rooms so we can also do our part in practicing proper hotel etiquette. When we know how hard it is to clean a particular area in the room, we can be more responsible. Here is a quick guide to cleaning a hotel room:
- Open the room, and bring in some fresh air.
- Remove the sheets or the bed linen, and place it in the
appropriate area for soiled sheets in trolley.
- Empty all the bins, and use gloves if necessary.
- Remove any used mugs or cups.
- Replenish the hot drinks if needed.
- Dust all surfaces and other corners that your dusting tool can reach.
- Vacuum the furniture and other upholstery using a brush attachment.
- Sanitize all surfaces and equipment, like the phone or TV, that your guest accessed.
- Clean the floor, and use a method depending on the floor type. You can sweep and mop hard floors and vacuum carpeted floors.
- Close the windows, and go around to do a final check.
Tip: Be observant about changes in the thermostat, and bring it back to the hotel's default temperature.
Some housekeepers choose to deep clean areas or items in the room. Deep cleaning is usually done once every quarter. Let's take a look at some deep clean methods:
- Carpets: use a steam carpet cleaner
- Curtains: use a steam cleaner with a special attachment
- Hard floor and tiles: use a floor polisher
- Pillows: washing or laundry
Whether you want to learn more or want to understand the usual hotel process for cleaning, knowing how do housekeepers clean hotel rooms is an asset. The accessibility of travel has made us too complacent about the details in our hotel room. Many of the things we enjoy in our hotel room, from the crisp sheets to the fresh scent of our room, demand a lot of work from our hotel housekeepers. That's why they deserve our appreciation.